Get involved and experience the joy of Miracle League.
We have a critical need for on-field volunteers due to more children signed up to play. You will be inspired by the determination and joy of these children.
All volunteers for MLDC must have cleared a background check within the last three years. If you did not volunteer with us during our first two seasons, you will need to complete the background check. In order to do so, please click here – Access Code is MLDC. Please complete this step in addition to the volunteer registration.
VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN!
Calling all VOLUNTEERS! Sign up to be a buddy or other opportunities. See below for open positions.
Every player must have a buddy to participate so why not sign up for a fun filled summer of baseball, laughter, and fun!
Buddies are assigned on a first come first serve basis so if you have a specific player you’d like to mentor or a team you are familiar with, sign up early to help ensure we can honor your request.
Team Head Coaches and Assistant Coaches are needed for teams. If you’re interested in one of those positions, check that position on the Volunteer Registration form.
Multiple opportunities are also listed under the “Game Operations” tab that are very important in running our games each night.
Thank you all in advance for choosing to be Miracle League of Dane County Volunteers. We appreciate you more than you know.
- To protect the Miracle League Player at all times
- When a hard hitter is up to bat, Buddies are to step in front of Player for protection
- Always allow Player as much freedom as possible to play his/her own game
- Assist Player according to their needs
- Be of good spirit with enthusiasm, love, good attitude and concern in motivating the players and their families
- Become their friend, get to know the players and their families
- Demonstrate high morals and integrity on and off the field
- Regularly show up on your assigned Player’s game night ( 8 weeks) once a week – either Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday – and for Opening Night. Arrives 30 minutes prior to game time
- Attend mandatory pre-season (1 hour) with Volunteer Coordinator
- Be properly dressed in Buddy shirt and athletic footwear (no open-toe shoes or shoes without backs; no slides, sandals or deck shoes on field)
- Protect Players – be attentive and stay near them at all times
- Provide enthusiasm and encouragement throughout the game
- Arrives at the field 30 minutes prior to game time
- Coordinates team activities with Assistant Coach and Team Assistant
- Ensures that each Player has a uniform and cap
- Contacts Players families as to team assignment
- Provides families with game schedule or where to find it on Web site
- Maintains regular contact with Players and their families to provide information on upcoming events, schedule changes, rainouts
- Communicates concerns regarding specific Player to the Exec Director or Volunteer Coordinator.
- Attends Coaches meetings as called by the Game Operations head (Mike Bauler) or Executive Director (Bill Schultz)
- Provides copies of the team line-up to the game announcer before each game (Player’s name and pronunciation)
- Packs up any team equipment if playing the last game of the day
- Assist Players as they cross home plate, high-five, congratulate them
- Designates the responsibilities of the Assistant Coach and assures that they take an active role in participating in the coaching duties
- Ensures that the game keeps moving to avoid running past the next start time
- Enforces league rules, including requirement for wearing correct athletic footwear, wearing a uniform and cap, and having the batting helmet on. (No Shoes, No Play; No Uniform, No Play). Works with the Volunteer Coordinator to resolve any issues.
- Huddle Players before each game in order to get them excited about the game.
- Short Pep Talk
- A great big “GOOOOOO (Team Name)”
- Is responsible for maintaining a fun and safe atmosphere for Players
- Arrives at the field 30 minutes prior to the game
- Assists the Head Coach on team activities
- Verifies that each Player has a Buddy in attendance
- In the absence of the Head Coach, is expected to know the duties of, and carry out the responsibilities of Head Coach for that day
- Help Team Coach in making sure next batter up is ready to hit
- Mentor Buddies on their responsibilities
- Picks up the batter’s bat immediately, if necessary, after each batter so out of the way of runners and neatly returns them to the team’s bat rack
- Actively provides encouragement and enthusiasm to Players
- Gives attention to the Players in the dugout and their needs at all times
- Helps pack up the team equipment to return to storage if playing in the last game of the day.
- Enforces league rules, including requirement for wearing correct footwear, wearing a uniform and cap, and having the batting helmet on. (No Shoes, No Play; No Uniform, No Play) Works with Volunteer Coordinator to resolve issues.
- Demonstrates enthusiasm, love, and concern for each Player and family
- Oversee one night of games (Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday)
- Verifies that each Player and Volunteer has registered and signed a release
- Unlock field entrance fences and inspect field pre-game
- Transport all necessary game equipment and tables from the field shed and place in the proper locations
- Make sure Team Coaches are in attendance and they have given team lineups to Game Announcer
- Attend to any Player requiring medical attention
- Return all equipment to the field shed
- There are no balls and strikes or outs in the Miracle League. Call Player safe as they cross home plate
- Responsible for making sure next batter is ready to bat
- Keep up the pace of the game
- Be alert for any Player needing medical attention
- Be enthusiastic, positive, fun
- Sign up for one night a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- Announce each Player’s name (pre-game introductions, during game)
- Be enthusiastic, upbeat.
- Make any announcements as needed
- Looking for people with prior announcing experience
- Sign up for one night a week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday)
- Register both players and volunteers (Buddies) for that night’s games as they arrive
Click to view the PDFs.
Thank you for your interest in helping out this season. We need you and appreciate you!